Amorim signals January surprises but rules out panic buys as United prepare for Villa
United manager says January dealings will be targeted for the long term; Sancho loan at Villa dominates talk around squad amid AFCON absences

Manchester United will not panic-buy in January, Ruben Amorim said, stressing that any new signings will be targeted to the club’s long-term project rather than quick fixes. He spoke ahead of United’s Sunday trip to Aston Villa as the squad copes with Africa Cup of Nations absences that will keep Bryan Mbeumo, Amad Diallo and Noussair Mazraoui unavailable through January 18.
Amorim acknowledged that a defensive midfielder remains a talking point given uncertainties over Casemiro, Manuel Ugarte and Kobbie Mainoo, but he insisted the club will pursue the right fit for the future rather than chase a short-term stopgap. “The only thing that we will try to bring now – and in the end of the season – are players that are perfect for our future,” he said ahead of the Villa match. “It's not going to be to save something in this moment, to cope with the losses of three players for Afcon. It’s not going to be like that. Even if we try to bring one player, maybe it's not the position that we need more. So I don't know what is going to happen, but it's possible that we can do something.”
United are also linked with Bournemouth forward Antoine Semenyo, whose £60.5 million January release clause drops to roughly £50m in the summer, as a potential long-term upgrade. Amorim reiterated that any January arrival would be evaluated on whether it fits the club’s broader plan rather than addressing the AFCON absences alone.
Jadon Sancho, meanwhile, will not be eligible to play against United after joining Villa on a season-long loan, with Villa paying about 80 percent of his £250,000-a-week salary. The 25-year-old had previously fallen out with Amorim’s predecessor Erik ten Hag and has had loan spells at Borussia Dortmund and Chelsea; United manager was reluctant to discuss Sancho, who is out of contract in the summer. “I have nothing to say about that,” he said. “Sancho is not our player in the moment, he is playing for the opposition. He’s not going to play.”
Sunday’s game sees United facing goalkeeper Emi Martínez, who was linked with Old Trafford on deadline day in the summer before the club moved for Antwerp’s Senne Lammens instead. Amorim said he is happy with his choice: “For sure. I’m really happy with Senne. We have a game against Aston Villa. I don't want to commit anything else, just focus on that. I'm really happy with the goalkeepers. I'm really happy to have Senne.”
The manager added that his focus remains on the upcoming fixture and the long-term build, with transfers shaping the club’s evolution rather than short-term fixes. The AFCON-related absences and the uncertain futures of several priority targets mean January could bring surprises, but Amorim stressed that any move will be measured against United’s broader strategic plan.