Boomer Esiason: Craig Carton Could Return to WFAN in Morning or Afternoon Slot
Former WFAN host remains a topic of speculation as Carton’s Fox Sports program was canceled, renewing questions about a possible on-air comeback.

A prominent former WFAN host said he wouldn’t be surprised if Craig Carton finds his way back to the station, as speculation swirls following the cancellation of Carton’s Fox Sports 1 show, Breakfast Ball, last summer.
Boomer Esiason, Carton’s longtime co-host during their WFAN tenure, told Barrett Media on Friday that Carton’s talent would make a return worthwhile for any station that wants to maximize his impact. “If they want to put him back on the radio and he wants to come back, he’s going to come back, because he’s just too talented not to,” Esiason said. “I wouldn’t be surprised he’s back on WFAN somewhere. It has to be a place where he has to have the biggest impact. So that would be in mornings or afternoons. It’s not middays.” Esiason currently works with Greg Giannotti on the morning show, while the afternoon slot is held by Tiki Barber and Evan Roberts.
Carton’s most recent return to WFAN, in 2020, came after a prison stint related to gambling. He previously co-hosted with Esiason from 2007 to 2017 before a fraud conviction linked to a gambling problem sidelined him for years. In 2020, Carton returned to WFAN for an afternoon run with Roberts, but he left again in the summer of 2023 to take a position with FS1. Sal Licata, who hosts the station’s midday show, has publicly asserted a competitive stance from Carton, telling Carton to his face on air during the 2020 return that “You’re not taking my spot.” Licata’s remarks underscore the tension surrounding Carton’s potential reentry to the lineup.
The Athletic’s Andrew Marchand reported earlier this year that Carton’s return to WFAN wasn’t out of the question, reflecting ongoing discussions about how his next move could fit into the station’s existing architecture. The broader context includes the station’s current structure, with Giannotti anchoring mornings and the Barber–Roberts duo in the afternoons, while the midday block remains a target for various potential lineups. The cancellation of Breakfast Ball last summer has intensified talk about whether Carton could rejoin WFAN in a way that leverages his audience draw while aligning with the station’s management and regulatory considerations.
If Carton were to return, observers say the most likely scenarios would place him in a high-visibility time slot—either morning drive or late afternoon—where his ability to generate discussion and ratings could have the strongest impact. His track record at WFAN, including a proven ability to attract attention and drive conversations, makes him a compelling potential fit for a station that values controversy-tinged sports talk and candid opinions. Still, any move would require navigation of past legal and personal considerations, as well as reassurances to station partners and advertisers.
There is no formal announcement yet from WFAN about Carton’s status or any potential reentry plan. For fans and media observers, the unfolding discussions reflect a broader industry question: how stations balance star power with the need for consistent, reliable programming that satisfies listeners and sponsors alike.
As the conversation continues, Carton’s future at WFAN remains uncertain but increasingly plausible, depending on timing, format, and the station’s strategic priorities. The network’s decision-makers have historically weighed factors such as audience demand, market dynamics, and regulatory considerations, alongside the reputational calculus of bringing back a high-profile media figure who has already undergone substantial personal and professional transitions. For now, the speculation centers on whether Carton will surface again at WFAN, and if so, in which hour of the day he would be best positioned to make a meaningful impact.
