Guardiola vows to stay at Manchester City beyond summer amid exit chatter
Manager stresses unfinished business and says no talks have taken place about his future as 18 months remain on his contract

Pep Guardiola says he intends to remain Manchester City manager next season, dismissing exit rumors and citing unfinished business in the Premier League.
The Catalan, who has 18 months left on his contract, said there have been no discussions with the club’s hierarchy about his future and rejected speculation that he might depart after a decade at the Etihad Stadium. He stressed that his decision will depend on his feelings and the team’s trajectory rather than external pressure.
"I’m happy here, I want to stay here," Guardiola told reporters. "What can I say? The moment I feel that it is done and with the players I cannot squeeze more – or I can’t visualise how we could do better – then I will go home. Still I have the feeling." He added that the motivation to continue is rooted in the process and the journey to do things better, not solely in trophies. "Of course I want to win the Premier League and the Champions League but that is not the reason why I wake up in the morning. It’s not. It’s the process, the journey. To do it better. I'm excited because there is a margin to improve - and that is what I like."
The 54-year-old also noted that there has been no signal from the club’s hierarchy to change course, and he suggested his long-term commitment could hinge on the club’s preparedness for any future shift. "I don’t have to text (director of football) Hugo Viana. I see him every day. We take a coffee every day together. The club has to be prepared. The club has been prepared in the past with Txiki (Begiristain) because I’m a weird guy and maybe I wake up in the morning and say I’m leaving, ‘ciao ciao’ so they have to prepare but this is not the case (now)." He indicated that his decision could still change, but for now the mood is to continue with the current group.
Even as Guardiola committed to staying, he acknowledged public speculation is part of the landscape around City’s future and team-building. He also reflected on the past year, saying there were moments when he considered leaving after a difficult run, but that decision was reversed when results stabilized and the squad began to show improvement. "It depends on my feelings," he said. "My feeling right now is good, that’s why I want to continue. It’s going to change? Maybe. I don’t know. But now what I’m feeling is with the players I want to continue as much, and as long as possible."
The manager also touched on the club’s evolving leadership landscape, noting that while names such as Enzo Maresca — a former City assistant during the Treble-winning campaign who now leads Chelsea — have been floated as potential successors, there is no formal plan in motion. Xabi Alonso has long drawn interest within City’s boardroom, while Vincent Kompany, now at Bayern Munich, has been cited in discussions about the club’s long-term options.
Guardiola’s comments come as City navigate a period of transition for the squad and its management team. He spoke ahead of a key Premier League fixture that could see City move to the top of the table with a victory over West Ham United on Saturday, a result that would keep the team on track for multiple targets this season. He also reminded that he has already extended his stay with City multiple times, most recently signing a new contract last year, and that any decision about his future will continue to be guided by his assessment of the squad’s state and potential.
In total, Guardiola’s remarks reinforce a message of continuity at Manchester City for the near term, even as the club weighs future leadership and succession questions. With 18 months remaining on his current deal and a squad in flux in several positions, the manager's stance provides a window into City’s planning as they pursue domestic and European ambitions.