express gazette logo
The Express Gazette
Saturday, February 21, 2026

Kentucky running back Jamarion Wilcox charged with first-degree sexual abuse in off-campus incident

University of Kentucky says it is monitoring the case as Wilcox remains withheld from team activities; next court hearing set for November 3.

Sports 5 months ago
Kentucky running back Jamarion Wilcox charged with first-degree sexual abuse in off-campus incident

A University of Kentucky football player has been charged with sexual abuse in the first degree in connection with an off-campus incident in August, according to reports. Jamarion Wilcox, 21, was arrested Friday on the charge related to an event at an off-campus house on Aug. 20 in Lexington. Police documents indicate the alleged incident occurred at a residence on South Upper Street.

Court documents cited by local outlets allege that Wilcox sneaked naked into a sleeping woman’s bed, tried to pry open her legs, and refused to leave after she confronted him. The victim said she awoke to find him in her bed and, after telling him he was in the wrong room, he allegedly laughed and continued touching her. The two women, including the victim’s roommate, contacted police, and officers escorted Wilcox from the residence after he reportedly refused to leave for at least 20 minutes, according to the Courier Journal citing court papers. A restraining order was issued preventing Wilcox from being within 500 feet of the victim, the report added.

The university's response has been to monitor the situation. UK spokesman Susan Lax said the school is aware of the situation and will continue to gather information and monitor it closely. Wilcox has remained withheld from team activities, and coach Mark Stoops had previously indicated that Wilcox was held out of a game earlier this year for a violation of team rules.

Wilcox, a Douglasville, Georgia native, led Kentucky in rushing during the 2024 season with 590 yards and two touchdowns on 92 carries, according to ESPN. He has not dressed for any games this season, and his next court appearance is scheduled for November 3, according to the Courier Journal.

The case sits at the intersection of a program already navigating roster discipline questions and a legal process that remains ongoing. The incident, which occurred several weeks before the 2025 season began, could influence how the Wildcats manage a rapidly evolving roster as the season progresses.

UK Wildcats field close-up

As the legal process unfolds, Kentucky will continue to assess the situation in coordination with league guidelines and campus policies. The next court hearing on the matter is set for November 3, by which time prosecutors may outline further steps, while the football program continues to move forward with its schedule.


Sources