NBA reinstates former referee Eric Lewis ahead of G League return
Two years after burner-account scandal, Lewis re-enters officiating program and will begin with a G League game between the Osceola Magic and Noblesville Boom.

The NBA has reinstated former referee Eric Lewis nearly two years after he retired amid a burner-account scandal that shadowed his career. He will return to the league's officiating program and begin with a G League assignment Friday for a game between the Osceola Magic and Noblesville Boom. Lewis, now 52, told ESPN's Andscape that he is hopeful about earning back trust and getting back to the game and the work of officiating.
League officials said the burner account used to defend himself and other referees belonged to Lewis, and Byron Spruell, the NBA's president of league operations, said the posts had concerned the league. The league noted there was room for a possible return if the situation warranted. The investigation linked the account @CuttliffBlair to him; the account had defended Lewis and commentary about NBA officiating and was created in November 2015. It followed several NBA-related accounts before it was deleted amid the public review. Lewis had voluntarily retired in 2023 after the league began reviewing the matter. His last NBA assignment was May 16, 2023, in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals between the Denver Nuggets and the Los Angeles Lakers.
Since leaving the NBA, Lewis has returned to college basketball officiating, calling 46 games last season and 23 this season so far. He has previously worked more than 1,200 NBA games over 19 seasons. The league did not specify any timetable beyond the Friday G League assignment, but the path back to the NBA appears contingent on continued performance and the restoration of trust among teams and players. His longevity in the profession is notable: Lewis was a fixture in the NBA for nearly two decades before stepping away.
The reinstatement comes with no guarantees beyond the current step in the league's officiating pipeline. Spruell and other league officials indicated there remains a process for reviewing and approving a return to NBA duties, should Lewis demonstrate sustained improvement in his officiating and a restoration of confidence across teams and players. The decision reflects the NBA's broader approach to rehabilitation and second chances for staff members who acknowledge past missteps and commit to the standards of league conduct.
Lewis is married to Vanessa Blair-Lewis, the head coach at George Mason in her sixth season, a detail that has drawn attention given the family’s involvement in basketball at high levels. He has been active in college games since his departure from the NBA, drawing a profile as one of the more experienced officials on the circuit. His college resume includes 46 games last season and 23 so far this season, underscoring his continued work in officiating while pursuing a return to the top tier.
KenPom.com currently places Lewis as the 84th-ranked official in college basketball, a reflection of his continued prominence in the officiating community even while the NBA review proceeded. If the path clears, the league envisions a gradual reintegration into NBA duties, beginning with lower-stakes assignments and monitored performance to ensure trust and consistency on the court.