Rams' Puka Nacua Fined $25,000 by NFL After Renewed Referee Criticism Following Close Seahawks Loss
After a career-best performance, Rams receiver Puka Nacua faced a league penalty for social media criticism of officiating and later apologized for an antisemitic gesture.

The NFL fined Rams wide receiver Puka Nacua $25,000 for renewed criticism of game officials after Los Angeles’s 38-37 overtime loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday night. The judgment came as Nacua produced a career day that contrasted sharply with the penalty, underscoring a tumultuous week that had already drawn attention to his comments about officiating.
Nacua stacked a career-best line in the defeat, catching 12 passes for 225 yards and scoring two touchdowns. His follow-up performance helped keep the Rams competitive in a tightly contested contest that slipped away in the extra period. The Seahawks, who took control of the NFC standings with the win, benefited from late, back-and-forth drama that featured several pivotal officiating moments during a high-stakes game.
The controversy began after the game when Nacua took to social media to express frustration with the way officials called the game, suggesting that some referees seem intent on generating camera time. He previously touched on the topic during a livestream with online personalities, where he criticized officials for what he described as selective calling and for appearing to chase attention on national broadcasts. Those remarks, combined with a broader pattern of public criticism, prompted the league to review the situation and issue the fine, according to NFL Network.
The incident drew additional scrutiny when Nacua issued a public apology for a gesture he used in social media posts that was deemed antisemitic in nature. In an Instagram message, the 24-year-old receiver said he did not intend to propagate harmful stereotypes and extended remorse to anyone who felt offended. He stated that he does not endorse racism, bigotry, or hate and apologized to those impacted by his actions.
Rams coach Sean McVay addressed the surrounding chatter, insisting that the off-field conversation did not distract the team from its focus on the Seahawks game. McVay said the improvement in play during the game demonstrated that Nacua was not mentally preoccupied, adding that the on-field performance spoke for itself on Thursday. The coach reiterated that he trusted Nacua and his preparation, noting that the team would move forward.
The league’s penalty follows a string of recent high-profile critiques by players directed at officiating crews. After the game, the Rams will continue to evaluate the balance between aggressive on-field leadership from Nacua and the off-field scrutiny that has accompanied his showing. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
As the Rams regroup from the loss and the ensuing controversy, teams across the league continue to monitor how players express grievances with officiating and how teams handle public responses after dramatic games. Nacua, who has rapidly emerged as a focal point for both on-field production and public discourse, will likely face continued attention as Los Angeles looks to maintain stride in the NFC West race. The Rams will return to practice ahead of their next matchup, with expectations that the team will address both performance and public messaging in the weeks ahead.
