Suljovic denies slow-play 'cheating' claim as World Darts Championship advances; Dom Taylor suspended after drugs test
Suljovic fights off Cullen amid pace-of-play controversy; Dom Taylor faces DRA disciplinary action after an adverse drug finding and emotional revelations

Mensur Suljovic, the 32nd seed, denied that his deliberate slow-play approach amounted to cheating after he knocked out Joe Cullen in the second round of the PDC World Darts Championship. Cullen, the 11th seed, had accused his Austrian opponent of slowing the pace as a provocation, posting on X after the match that, “If that's darts, I don't want no part of it,” and labeling it cheating. Suljovic pushed back on the insinuation, saying he never uses slow play as provocation and that any tempo changes are for his own game. “I never ever do this as a provocation,” the 53-year-old said. “I do it only for my game. Sorry Joe, I never do this – love you man.” The result left Cullen with a setback in the tournament, as the Englishman had won the first set but then slipped to defeat in three straight, including losing a 2-1 lead in the fourth set as Suljovic rallied to take the match.
The Players Championship-style debate over pace of play touches on the sport’s rules as they stand. The PDC does not have a specific, timed rule for pace of play; however, deliberate slow play intended to disrupt an opponent is regarded as unsportsmanlike conduct and can constitute a breach of rules. After the match, Suljovic advanced to a third-round test against defending champion Luke Littler, who faced David Davies on Sunday evening. In other results from the afternoon session, Rob Cross edged Ian White 3-2 after a tense conclusion, Krzysztof Ratajski beat Ryan Joyce 3-1, and Luke Woodhouse dismissed Max Hopp in straight sets. The evening session was scheduled to feature Martin Schindler versus Keane Barry, Gerwyn Price against Wesley Plaisier, Luke Littler against David Davies, and Damon Heta versus Stefan Bellmont.
In a separate development, darts star Dom Taylor faced a dramatic turn at the World Championship as he was thrown out of the tournament following an adverse analytical finding from a drugs test. The Bristol-born player, 27, had been due to meet Jonny Clayton in the second round after a 3-0 win over Oskar Lukasiak in his Ally Pally debut, but the positive result triggered an immediate suspension from all competitions governed by the DRA. Taylor had previously served a one-month ban last year for drugs found ahead of the World Championship, though those substances were not performance-enhancing; the latest ruling marks another chapter in a turbulent period for the player.
Taylor disclosed his struggles in a lengthy Facebook post, detailing personal traumas from his early life and the impact they had on his behavior. “The first thing I need to say is sorry!!,” he wrote. “I’m sorry to every single one of my family, friends, sponsors, management team and most important of all, you guys. All my fans, be it outside of darts or inside of darts.” He added that he had been lying to himself and others in the wake of his recent triumph and described a series of family losses and crises that led him toward substances. “Also, I need to apologise for blatant lying to you all in my interview after my win against Oskar last week, as I have been lying to myself and everyone around me,” he wrote, calling his life “the biggest let down of my life.”
Taylor said he would seek help after Christmas and stressed that he should have spoken to someone sooner. He noted that his recovery would involve addressing mental health and substance issues and thanked those who had supported him. He had defeated Lukasiak in the first round, and his suspension will remain the focus of the disciplinary process under DRA Anti-Doping Rules. A PDC statement confirmed that, in line with ongoing anti-doping procedures, the organization notified the DRA of the adverse analytical finding on December 19 and that Taylor remains suspended from any DRA-regulated events while the matter is dealt with confidentially. The text of the DRA notice underscored that more formal action would follow through the disciplinary process.
As the World Championship proceeds, the sport’s tour continues to grapple with pace-of-play concerns in one corner and governance and wellness issues in another. The immediate schedule for the competition’s later rounds remains unchanged, with additional rounds and sessions planned across the weekend as the field narrows toward the latter stages. Round by round, players and fans alike await clarifications on pacing rules and the broader implications for players’ conduct, while the DRA’s process in Taylor’s case unfolds in parallel, shaping the sport’s approach to integrity and support for competitors facing personal challenges.