Tennessee to Deploy National Guard in Memphis as Part of Broad Crime-Fighting Surge
Gov. Bill Lee says Tennessee troops will join a multi-agency effort to combat crime in Memphis, deputized by the U.S. Marshals Service and unarmed unless requested by local authorities.

Memphis is bracing for a surge of resources aimed at reducing crime, with Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee announcing that National Guard troops from the state will join a broader effort coordinated by federal agencies and local police. The guards will be deputized by the U.S. Marshals Service, will not make arrests, and will not be armed unless local authorities request it, Lee said. The plan frames a multiagency push described as the Memphis Safe Task Force and is set to begin operations next week in phases.
Troops from Tennessee are to join a surge that includes 13 federal agencies and Tennessee state troopers. Officials have indicated the number of Guardsmen could be as high as about 150, though staffing details are still being worked out. FBI, ATF, and DEA personnel are expected to arrive next week to support local law enforcement. The operation does not involve a state of emergency declaration.
Memphis Mayor Paul Young said he did not solicit National Guard assistance but acknowledged it would come and would be used to support public safety efforts. He noted that crime rates in Memphis have been falling but that work remains to bring crime down to levels where residents feel safe.
Along with the federal troops, the state will provide about 100 million for public safety initiatives and deploy 300 state troopers. This would allow roughly 100 troopers to be on the ground at any one time, a sizable increase for Shelby County, where Memphis is located. The Memphis Police Department has more than 2,000 full-time officers, and the Shelby County Sheriff's Office has more than 600 deputies.

Earlier this year, Trump announced his intention to send National Guard troops to Los Angeles as part of a broader effort to protect federal property during protests over immigration arrests. The California deployment included thousands of guardsmen and Marines, and California sued over the intervention. Memphis will be different in that the plan emphasizes deputized guards rather than arrests and armored vehicles.
Mayor Young and Gov. Lee described the Memphis Safe Task Force as a sustained effort rather than a quick fix and said the operation would begin next week and proceed in phases with resources moving in over time.
Trump has signaled other cities could be next, with Chicago frequently mentioned. He has at times argued for unilateral deployments or directing troops to cities where governors request help. The Memphis plan follows a Sept. 12 announcement that Trump would send troops to Memphis and a Sept. 15 order establishing a task force for the mission.

Officials emphasize that the effort is to be sustained as long as needed and that success is measured by Memphis becoming a safer city where residents can walk at night and operate businesses with reduced risk of crime. With local agencies already active and resources increasing, authorities say the plan complements ongoing policing and community initiatives rather than replacing them.