Trump orders troops to Portland, expanding federal deployments to U.S. cities
Oregon Gov. Tina Kotek and local leaders oppose the move, saying Portland can manage safety without federal troops as the president widens security actions to other cities.

PORTLAND, Ore. — President Donald Trump said Saturday that he will send troops to Portland, authorizing Full Force, if necessary, to handle “domestic terrorists” as he expands his deployments to more American cities. In a social-media post, he said he was directing the Department of Defense to “provide all necessary Troops to protect War ravaged Portland,” and he alleged that federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement facilities were “under siege from attack by Antifa, and other domestic terrorists.” The White House did not immediately provide details on timing, the number of troops, or who would be involved.
Oregon Gov. Tina Kotek, a Democrat, condemned the move, telling reporters that Trump is abusing his authority by ordering troops into a city she said is doing “just fine” on its own. In an afternoon news conference, Kotek said she had directly informed Trump and Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem earlier in the day that troops were not needed and that she did not believe he had the authority to deploy the military there. “There is no insurrection. There is no threat to national security,” she said, urging residents to stay calm and not be drawn into escalation. Mayor Keith Wilson of Portland echoed the sentiment, saying, “This is an American city. We do not need any intervention.” The governor said she had not planned to call up the Oregon National Guard and that she did not intend to deploy state forces in response to the president’s announcement.
Portland officials and lawmakers have long described the city as capable of handling local public-safety needs, noting that there is no insurrection and no national-security threat. Trump had previously deployed National Guard members and active-duty Marines in Los Angeles despite California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s opposition, and the federal government is appealing a judge’s ruling that Trump’s use of the guard was illegal. In Portland, DHS has said detainees are briefly processed before being sent to other detention facilities, and officials said any federal presence should be coordinated with state and local authorities.
The Oregon National Guard said no official requests for Guard support had been received, and a spokesman noted that such requests would be coordinated through the governor’s office. Pentagon officials, meanwhile, said the Department of Defense would provide information and updates as available and stood ready to mobilize personnel to support DHS operations in Portland at the president’s direction.
Republican and Democratic lawmakers alike weighed in on the issue. Oregon’s congressional delegation, with the exception of GOP Rep. Cliff Bentz, urged the administration to keep federal agents and troops out of Portland, arguing the action represents an abuse of executive authority and could incite violence while undermining the balance of powers between federal and state governments.
Portland has been a focal point since 2020, when protests over racial justice issues and police violence drew national attention. In recent months, officials have emphasized downtown recovery and welcomed a rebound in pedestrian activity and business, though the city remains wary of renewed volatility. The term sanctuary city is frequently used to describe Portland’s stance on immigration cooperation, with no precise definition but a general expectation of limited cooperation with federal immigration enforcement.
As Portland awaited any visible federal presence on Saturday, residents described a calm, benign mood in the city’s core along the Willamette River. Some locals questioned the need for federal involvement in a city they viewed as peaceful on a typical fall day.
The episode followed Trump’s broader pattern of framing protests and crime as threats to national security and pledging federal interventions. In Memphis, Tennessee, authorities expected a deployment of about 150 troops to respond to protests surrounding a city hall plaza, with more than a dozen federal agencies involved. Organizers there focused on advocacy for education, crime prevention, youth services, and hospitals, arguing that the city would benefit from local investment rather than a federal crackdown.
DHS spokesperson Sean Parnell said the department would provide information and updates as available, reiterating that federal action would be aimed at protecting federal facilities and personnel. Oregon’s Lieutenant Colonel Stephen Bomar, the state’s National Guard spokesman, reiterated that no formal request had been received for Guard support and that any action would require coordination with the governor’s office.
In the broader context, Portland has sought to highlight recovery from the 2020 protests while maintaining safety and civil rights. The debate over federal intervention adds another chapter to a long-running national discussion about the role of federal forces in internal security and the balance of power between state and federal governments. As officials urged calm and adherence to local law enforcement, observers pointed to the need for clear timelines and a plan that respects constitutional boundaries while ensuring public safety.
The administration’s next steps were unclear, and local officials said they would continue to coordinate with federal partners only if such involvement is truly necessary and appropriately authorized. The city and state leaders emphasized that the public should not be drawn into confrontations and that peaceful, lawful expression remains a cornerstone of Portland’s civic life. In the hours ahead, residents and business owners watched for any changes in security posture, while campaign and political observers noted the administration’s efforts to frame federal intervention as a broad, nationwide strategy rather than a targeted measure in any single city.