express gazette logo
The Express Gazette
Friday, February 20, 2026

White House investigates mysterious livestream that appeared on official site

Eight-minute clip from YouTube creator Matt Farley appeared on whitehouse.gov/live; officials say it is under review and the incident remains unclear.

US Politics 2 months ago
White House investigates mysterious livestream that appeared on official site

The White House said it is aware of and investigating a mysterious livestream that briefly appeared on whitehouse.gov/live late Thursday, prompting questions about a possible hack or a mislink on the government site.

The appearance lasted at least eight minutes and showed content from a YouTube creator who goes by Matt Farley, known online as @RealMattMoney, discussing investments as part of a longer two-hour livestream. The site, which normally streams official remarks from the president, is not known to routinely host third-party video unless linked or embedded by staff. It remains unclear how the video came to be displayed on the government page, and officials cautioned that there is no confirmed diagnosis of a breach at this stage.

Farley told The Associated Press on Friday that he had no knowledge of the incident and had not been contacted by the government. He said he would have favored different topics if he had known the content would appear on the White House site and added with a laugh that perhaps President Donald Trump and his youngest son Barron were watching his streams. "What would you talk about with the world for eight minutes if you had an opportunity? I’m just some guy making YouTube videos about stocks," he said.

The episode arrives amid a broader context of digital-security concerns surrounding the White House and political campaigns. In May, government officials began investigating after elected officials, business executives and other prominent figures received text messages and phone calls from someone impersonating Susie Wiles, the president’s chief of staff. Last year, Iranian hackers breached Trump’s campaign, stealing and distributing sensitive internal documents, including a dossier on Vice President JD Vance that was created before he was chosen as running mate.

At this point, there is no publicly released determination about who might be responsible or whether any data was compromised. The White House said it is reviewing server logs and access records to understand how the video appeared on the site and whether any security controls were bypassed. Officials emphasized that the inquiry is ongoing and that further information may be provided as investigators complete their review.

The incident underscores ongoing concerns about the security of digital platforms used by the executive branch and political actors, even as the government emphasizes monitoring and protection of its public-facing websites. Analysts warn that the boundaries between official content and third-party material on government pages can be murky and warrant careful scrutiny to prevent misattribution or confusion among the public.

As the investigation continues, officials are expected to assess whether the incident involved a breach of internal systems, a misconfiguration, or an error in content management processes. The White House has not indicated any changes to public-facing pages, but security teams are likely reviewing permissions, login histories, and potential third-party integrations related to the live-streaming function on whitehouse.gov.

Security experts note that even isolated events like this can illuminate systemic vulnerabilities in how government sites manage embedded content and external links. While attribution in this case remains uncertain, the episode adds to a string of recent digital-security challenges facing the administration and its supporters as they monitor for potential breaches or social-media-driven influence operations.

Matt Farley YouTube streamer


Sources